[R-sig-ME] Replicating type III anova tests for glmer/GLMM

Fox, John jfox at mcmaster.ca
Tue Feb 23 18:17:29 CET 2016

Dear Emmanuel,

First, the relevant linear hypothesis is for several coefficients simultaneously -- for example, all 3 coefficients for the contrasts representing a 4-level factor -- not for a single contrast. Although it's true that any linear combination of parameters that are 0 is 0, the converse isn't true. Second, for a GLMM, we really should be talking about type-III tests not type-III sums of squares.

Type-III tests are dependent on coding in the full-rank parametrization of linear (and similar) models used in R, to make the tests correspond to reasonable hypotheses. The invariance of type-II tests with respect to coding is attractive, but shouldn't distract from the fundamental issues, which are the hypotheses that are tested and the power of the tests.

Best,
 John