[R-sig-ME] Replicating type III anova tests for glmer/GLMM

Emmanuel Curis emmanuel.curis at parisdescartes.fr
Tue Feb 23 17:49:47 CET 2016

Dear Pr Fox,

Thanks for your precision. But to summarize this test of, let's say 3
parameters to 0 for a 4-levels factor, by a single value with its SE,
as mentionned in Francesco's mail, the linear combination of these
parameters that is practically tested by this sum of square is needed,
isn't it ?

I mean, if really the parameters are all 0, whatever linear
combination could do the job, but type III sum of square just tests
one of all possible linear combinations, right?

By the way, I was always very annoyed by the fact that Type III sum of
squares are so dependent on coding, but that's another debate...

Best regards,