[R-sig-ME] fitting models with poisson distributed data

Ken Beath ken at kjbeath.com.au
Tue Oct 28 12:11:22 CET 2008

On 25/10/2008, at 9:37 AM, Page E. Van Meter wrote:

> Hi,
> Now that I have the code figured out, I hoping for some help on
> defining my model. I might be guilty of trying to fit an overly
> complex model to my data, although my model seems very simple in
> comparison to what has been discussed here. I'm hoping for feedback
> on my model design. Thanks in advance!
>
> I have some pretty ugly longitudinal data measuring hormones and
> behaviors from individual hyenas over many years (355 samples from
> 39 individuals). We collect hormone samples based on opportunity and
> have several samples from each individual (3-9 samples per hyena).
> My ultimate goal is to see if my hormone data explains any of the
> variation we see in the behavior data (aggression, I'll call it
> aggs). My dependent measurement is a behavior rate, count of aggs
> over time just prior to hormone sample collection. It is very zero
> heavy (lots of individuals did not aggress prior to hormone sample
> donation) and resistant to transformation to normality, but seems to
> be a pretty poisson distribution. My predictors are hormones and
> reproductive state (pregnant or lactating, which effect both
> aggression and hormones).

 From the output the estimated scale (I don't see this in the version
of lmer I'm using?)  is 7.7 so data is definitely not Poisson.
Assuming Poisson will give incorrect p values.

Seeing the quasi Poisson doesn't seem to work properly I'm not certain
what is a good choice. I haven't tried it but maybe quasi Poisson
works in one of the GEE packages.

It may be Ok to limit the analysis to no aggression/aggression
allowing fitting as binomial data.

Ken