[R-SIG-Finance] labour statistics

Max mnevill at exitcheck.net
Tue Oct 14 20:18:38 CEST 2008

Hi everyone,

This is not so much of an R question as a statistics question. I
currently work for the largest pre employment screening company in
Canada. Upper management has noticed that noticed that usually a month
or so before any big kind of economic shock happens, that our incoming
files (requests for a background check) jump up or down.

As the company statistician, they've asked me to see if the
relationship is strong enough to put together a product that can be
sold to any kind of firm or organization (brokerages or any kind of
investing firm, federal ministry of finance, statistics canada (like
the bureau of stats in the USA), universities etc) that would be
interested in knowing what's going on with the federal labour
statistics before Stats Canada does.

In Canada on the 10th of every month, statistics canada releases labour
statistics for the previous month. The way CFO sees it, *ideally* on
the (1st to 10th, something like that) every month, the firm I work for
could be releasing data for the rest of the month.

What I'm trying to figure out is if you were in the position of
evaluating the final product for purchase, what kind of information
would make the product credible/viable? Summary statistics? Variance
covariance matrices? Graphs of the data? Cross Correlation matrices for
time series analysis?

It's frustrating because I can see a noticeable relationship between
our file volume and the unemployment rate (in particular,) but I'm not
sure how to appropriately frame it in a way that another
statistician/modeler would want the data.

Any suggestions, comments, questions would be great.

thanks!

-Max