[Rd] Transferring ownership of R-managed buffer

Gabriel Becker gmbecker at ucdavis.edu
Thu Mar 30 22:15:31 CEST 2017

On Thu, Mar 30, 2017 at 11:52 AM, Tim Keitt <tkeitt at utexas.edu> wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 29, 2017 at 4:56 PM, Gabriel Becker <gmbecker at ucdavis.edu>
> wrote:
>
>> The concept of having a vector which is a "window" into another vector
>> without duplication ( which I suspect is at least related to your use-case,
>> though I could be wrong) is a special case of one of alt-representations I
>>  have implemented there.
>>

> Nice. That is exactly what I need. I was trying out a little experiment,
> but I think its not possible right now because the length of an R vector is
> identical to the buffer length. I can do everything I need except force the
> length of the returned R vector to be only a portion of the allocated
> storage.

To be entirely accurate it's "technically possible but not allowed and
likely to stop working". I.e., it can be done in the current version of R,
but the way that you would do it is a) not part of the API so is not
supported, and b) AFAIK has a good chance of going away entirely (or at
least changing significantly) in R-devel (and thus the R release after this
coming one) during the process of merging the ALTREP branch sometime after
the upcoming release.  That was the last position on the subject I heard
from Luke Tierney, anyway.

Best,
~G

--