[ESS] how to compile shiny html

Shreyas Ragavan @hrey@@ @end|ng |rom |@@tm@||@com
Tue Feb 15 22:37:10 CET 2022

> I think shiny needs an R server to be up and running, so it's not feasible
> to have it as a static html.
> If your app is not that complex, you can play with flexdashboard

Shiny apps require a shiny server to run. In short any thing that requires a re-calculation based on user input will need a server component. Flexdashboard can produce  static htmloutput and can be converted to a shiny app but is generally limited in terms of layout and customisation in comparison to shiny. Note that the flexdashboard static output can also be very large depending on report contents. FWIW it is not very difficult to setup shiny server either via Docker or as systemd service and you can also secure it with a login. One good reference is https://business-science.github.io/shiny-production-with-aws-book/