[ESS] Possible problem with Org 9.6?

William Denton wtd @end|ng |rom pobox@com
Thu Dec 1 21:20:47 CET 2022

On 1 December 2022, Colin Baxter via ESS-help wrote:

> My last post was mangled. The "Nor me" referred to a satisfactory output
> of the R code - not to "haven't a clue"!
>
> Are you using the latest ESS from git? And have you set the
> "ess-startup-directory" to default-directory?

I retried with this and still have the problem.  Here's how I did it, with
current Org (d500b406fc) and ESS (01e7f5b482) source trees.

In the Org source, run "make repro".

In the *scratch* buffer, C-x C-e each of these lines (adjust path for ESS source
as needed):

(add-to-list 'load-path "/usr/local/src/ESS/lisp")
(require 'ess-r-mode)
(require 'ob-R)

Load an Org file with this simple block:

#+begin_src R :results output :session *R*
x <- 2:4
print(x)
#+end_src

C-c C-c on the begin line, say yes to executing the code, use the default for
the working directory.

Results:  #+RESULTS line appears, but no output.

Change "output" to "value" and it works.  Remove the :session argument and it
works.

Kill Emacs, execute the Lisp as above, but this time add:

(setq ess-startup-directory 'default-directory)

Perform the other steps, and #+RESULTS is still empty.

I hope this may help narrow it down.  There's some discussion on the Org list
about this too:

https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-orgmode/2022-12/msg00001.html

Thanks,

Bill