[ESS] executing Julia from org: error in ess-eval-region

Stephen Eglen @je30 @end|ng |rom c@m@@c@uk
Tue Aug 16 10:12:16 CEST 2022

>> 1. The *julia* repl gets poluted with these 'eoe' end-of-expression markers
>> which may  be necessary, but feel clunky.
>
> Yeah, I know what you mean.  They are necessary for sessions.  org babel
> uses similar for other languages.

interestingly though I don't see them in *R* buffers when using similar
org blocks for R code.

I wonder if these eoe markers could be hidden using an Operating System
Command (OSC):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ANSI_escape_code#OSC_(Operating_System_Command)_sequences

> I would be happy to participate and it would be good to have the author
> of the alternative ob-julia involved not to mention the current
> maintainer of ob-julia.  What approach would you like to take for
> getting together?  We could use the org mode mailing list but other
> routes are possible of course.
>
> And, also those responsible for julia-vterm etc.

Perhaps I should take a while to evaluate the choices, and think about
pros/cons of different approaches.  We can then open a discussion on
github.  There has been a lot of effort that has gone into ESS
supporting julia, so I'd like to understand more the limits of each repl
interface.

Stephen