[ESS] Advice on setting up ESS to edit and knit Rmarkdown files

Wed Sep 22 19:53:04 CEST 2021

    > We'd love to do a release but ESS is not in a good place
    > right now.

Definitely.  The reason is that there have been too many bugs
introduced with the new features, so we could/should not
release.

This has been the real reason for not releasing formally.

In addition, another important goal for the release has been to
create an ESS+ "package" (not mainly an ELPA package, but also a
traditional  tarball / zip file) which will contain
ESS plus relevant parts of polymode even though the latter is
only maintained by one of us; the use of both *and* correct
interplay between polymode and ESS is really crucial for parts
modern R using ESS, notably as we had decided to declare the ess
noweb-mode (for editing *.Rnw, i.e., Sweave & (tex-based) knitr)
as obsolete.

    > Recent versions of Emacs interrupt background
    > commands (essential to completion and contextual help like
    > eldoc) when the user starts typing, which causes hard to
    > solve problems.

    > The dev branch is mostly working but not 100%
    > correctly. Unfortunately none of us seem to have the time
    > to work on ESS at the moment.

    > That said, while Martin, Vitalie and I notice issues here
    > and there, we haven't had serious bug reports in a while,
    > despite the dev branch being used by many Melpa users. So
    > maybe releasing in the current state is better than  nothing.

Well...
It would be the first ESS release with serious (for some / in
some use case situaitons) known bugs ..