[ESS] emacs-ess and the dreaded dotemacs file

Berry, Charles ccberry @end|ng |rom he@|th@uc@d@edu
Wed Oct 20 20:45:52 CEST 2021

Hi Mark,

I hope you are well.

As Tyler points out the attachment didn't make it.

However, I do see this bit:

 Reading at buffer position 432
 load-with-code-conversion("/home/markleeds/.emacs "/home/markleeds/.emacs" t t)
 load("~/.emacs" t t)

If the latter two lines appear literally in a file you are trying to load, then you have fallen into the trap of using R like syntax where lisp is needed. (I do know emacs-lisp and do this myself more than I want to admit.)

So move the open parens BEFORE the function names, viz.

(load-with-code-conversion "/home/markleeds/.emacs
"/home/markleeds/.emacs" t t )
 (load "~/.emacs" t t)

HTH,
Chuck