[ESS] emacs-ess and the dreaded dotemacs file

Mark Leeds m@rk|eed@2 @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Tue Oct 19 11:03:59 CEST 2021

Hi All: Would anyone mind doing me a big favor and fixing any ( even one is
great )  problems in my current dotemacs file. I was able to get some of it
to run but when it hits the auto-complete section, I start having all kinds
of problems. For most of it, ( from the auto-complete section and on ),  I
just copied the dotemacs file used at the link below ( the www.code.rd.com
link ) . But things either changed dramatically since that link was created
or the author is maybe not showing the whole file ?

I'm lisp illiterate which obviously doesn't help. I use ubuntu but I doubt
that matters.

This all sounded like a good idea when I started it  but now its  been
three days and I'm still not terribly far. Thanks to Rich Heiberger who was
influential in getting the top part to work before it hits the
auto-complete section. The dotemacsfile is
attached. Note that the code in the dotemacsfile with all the semi-colons
is the code from the link here. I don't see any typos but I could be
mistaken.  Or
maybe the link itself has typos ? Thanks so much for help in any way.

https://www.codetd.com/en/article/8181443

#===========================================================
# ERROR THAT emacs --debug-init temp.R GIVES BUT I DOUBT THAT'S  THE ONLY
ONE
Debugger entered--Lisp error: (invalid-read-syntax ")")
  eval-buffer(#<buffer  *load*> nil "/home/markleeds/.emacs" nil t)  ;
Reading at buffer position 432
  load-with-code-conversion("/home/markleeds/.emacs"
"/home/markleeds/.emacs" t t)
  load("~/.emacs" t t)
  #[0 " \205\262