[ESS] ESS M-x R failing in a Windows installation

Mon Mar 15 17:39:38 CET 2021

    > Hi Jeremie: As you say, Windows installs do depend on the
    > user’s preferences.  However, in ancient ESS (circa 2004),
    > we coded around this by going to the Windows registry.
    > However, I have rarely used Windows since so I can’t say
    > how that approach might be used today (or if it is, how it
    > might be failing).  I think a big issue is that few (if
    > any) ESS developers are using Windows.  Rich was probably
    > the rear guard and he switched to Mac.

Actually, I use ESS + R  on a Windows server (I log into in a window on my Linux
Desktop/notebook)  every couple of weeks or so,
to test R things (notably those that I know are platform
dependent, e.g., all my numeric / accuracy experiments/research).

I have many (half a dozen to a dozen) versions of R installed on
that server, but indeed  M-x R  had stopped many months ago,
but the current workaround for me has always been

  M-x R-[tab]

[tab] = tabulator for "tab completion" in Emacs,
and then choose from the possible completions which do show both
the 32-bit and 64-bit versions of every version of R (see above).

Martin