[ESS] [External] Re: ESS M-x R failing in a Windows installation

Steve Gutreuter @gutreuter @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Wed Mar 10 21:56:50 CET 2021

Hi Jeremie and Richard

Again, all is working well now that I replaced Vincent Goulet's
Emacs/ESS/AucTeX bundles with straight-up Emacs 27.1 from gnu.org and
ESS 18.10.2 from MELPA-stable.  I do not recall the ESS version that is
bundled into Vincent's emacs-26.1-modified-2, but his
emacs-27.1-modified-1 includes ESS 18.10.2.

Cheers,
Steve

On 3/10/21 3:33 PM, Jeremie Juste via ESS-help wrote:
> To be clear, for my part I was referring to the latest MELPA version
>
> "ess-version: 18.10.3snapshot [elpa: 20210307.735]
>
> And once inferior-ess-r-program is properly set, I didn't experience any
> trouble loading R and in using ess-flymake on windows.
>
> Best regards,
> Jeremie
>
> On Wednesday, 10 Mar 2021 at 19:54, Richard M. Heiberger via ESS-help wrote:
>> The relevant question is what version of ess are you using?
>> more specifically which version of ess is included with VIncent Goulet's emacs-26.1?
>>
>> the "bin/x64/Rterm.exe" construction is not in ess-16.10
>> It is in ess-18.10
>>
>> the /x64/ wasn't meaningful until R stsarted releasing both 32-bit versions and 64-bit versions.
>>
>> I don't remember ever using the Windows directory.
>> U introduced ess-rterm-version-paths at some point.  It has been rewritten
>> since then, but should still be working as long as you have a recent enough ess.

Steve Gutreuter