[ESS] ESS M-x R failing in a Windows installation

Jeremie Juste jerem|eju@te @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Wed Mar 10 13:48:48 CET 2021

Hello Steve,

Is there any reason for this downgrade?
In general R is harder to find on windows because installation configuration
depends too much on the user.

It might be a good idea to live it to the user in this case.

A possible solution is to take the override the default command.

For instance on a windows setting, locate Rterm.exe, wherever it may be.
I have a window config R is in D directory: "d:/R/R-4.0.3/bin/x64/Rterm.exe"

Then in the init.el file override the ess-rterm-version-paths variable
(setq ess-rterm-version-paths '("d:/R/R-4.0.3/bin/x64/Rterm.exe"))

Then M-x R-newest, should let through.

I have even binded it to a key

(global-set-key (kbd "C-'") 'R-newest)

HTH,
Jeremie

On Wednesday, 10 Mar 2021 at 09:59, Dominic Steinitz via ESS-help wrote:
> I am not on windows but for me a way round this is to start R in a shell (in emacs) and then ess-remote. I’ve moved on to using direnv and lorri but that’s not an option for windows.
>
> Dominic Steinitz
> dominic using steinitz.org
> http://idontgetoutmuch.org
> Twitter: @idontgetoutmuch
>

>>   1. Re:  ESS M-x R failing in a Windows installation (Jeremie Juste)

>> Message: 1
>> Date: Fri, 05 Mar 2021 22:37:44 +0100
>> From: Jeremie Juste <jeremiejuste using gmail.com>
>> To: Steve Gutreuter via ESS-help <ess-help using r-project.org>
>> Subject: Re: [ESS] ESS M-x R failing in a Windows installation
>>
>> Hello Steve,
>>
>> Yest this is a known problem on windows.
>>
>> A temporary solution might be to use the command M-x ess-r-newest.
>> For my part I have rebinded  the above command to a key C-'.
>> It is not the best solution but it works for me.
>> If I come up with a better fix I'll update.
>>
>> HTH,
>> Jeremie
>>

>> On Friday,  5 Mar 2021 at 15:51, Steve Gutreuter via ESS-help wrote:
>>> M-x R is returning the message "Searching for program: No such file or
>>> directory, Rterm" under MS Windows.
>>>
>>> R 4.0.3 is installed in c:\Program Files\R\4.0.3, and Rterm.exe is
>>> present in c:/Program Files/R/R-4.0.3/bin/x64.
>>> My path environment variable includes c:\Program Files\R\4.0.3.
>>> R starts fine outside of Emacs.
>>> My .emacs file includes:
>>>    (require 'ess-rutils)
>>>    (setq inferior-ess-r-program "c:/Program
>>> Files/R/R-4.0.3/bin/x64/Rterm.exe)
>>> I am using Vincent Goulet's emacs-26.1-modified-2.exe and
>>> emacs-27.1-modified-1.exe which bundle ESS within the Emacs
>>> installation.
>>> Everything worked fine under Emacs 26.1 and earlier.  I upgraded to
>>> Emacs 27.1 and M-x R still worked.  I backed down to Emacs 26.1 and
>>> now M-x R is broken.
>>>
>>> I am baffled as to why ESS is not finding R.  Any clues?
>>>
>>> Many thanks
>>
>> --
>> Jeremie Juste
>>

> 	[[alternative HTML version deleted]]