[ESS] [External] Re: [External] Re: emacs 27.1 crashes regularly on Mac M1

Richard M. Heiberger rmh @end|ng |rom temp|e@edu
Fri Mar 5 03:01:17 CET 2021

It has crashed three times in the last hour.  Each time as I was typing into my filename.r buffer.

This time the Problem Report message to Apple includes

Exception Type:        EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGABRT)
Exception Codes:       KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS at 0x000000000000015a
Exception Note:        EXC_CORPSE_NOTIFY

The previous example I reported here had
Exception Type:        EXC_CRASH (SIGABRT)
Exception Codes:       0x0000000000000000, 0x0000000000000000
Exception Note:        EXC_CORPSE_NOTIFY

The previous one has
> Assertion failed: (mach_vm_map(mach_task_self(), &address, size, 0, VM_FLAGS_ANYWHERE | VM_MAKE_TAG(VM_MEMORY_COREGRAPHICS_BACKINGSTORES), port, 0, false, prot, prot, VM_INHERIT_SHARE) == KERN_SUCCESS), function backing_map, file /AppleInternal/BuildRoot/Library/Caches/com.apple.xbs/Sources/SkyLight/SkyLight-570.7/SkyLight/Services/Windows/CGSBackingStore.c, line 192.

The current crash does not have an equivalent statement.

I will be happy to forward this type of message directly to emacs.  To whom should it be sent?

Rich