[ESS] Current Status of [OT] Best Practices Emacs / ESS Mini-Webinars

Wed Jan 6 00:57:30 CET 2021

1. There are now fourteen of us in a GitHub organization at
      https://github.com/ess-intro
   with an overall 'top-level' repo
      https://github.com/ess-intro/ess-intro
   Membership defaults to 'private' so unless you're (or a person makes it
   public) in you won't see membership, but it's everybody who had chipped in
   over at collabedit and left a GH handle to indicate the desire to
   join. (And we generally do this in 'visor down' mode: we prefer to have a
   name and repo for a handle not a faceless anonymous entity.)

2. The top-level repo https://github.com/ess-intro/ess-intro has
      - issue tickets (which we should probably use for overall topics,
        questions, discussions etc)
      - a wiki with so far two subpages on topics (mostly copied from the old
        page) and style; after a snafu every org member should be able to edit
      - the possibility to use GitHub 'projects' etc (which I have never used)

3. It also has three first repos for presentations (with common naming pattern)
      - basic installation of standard emacs
      - spacemacs installation
      - rmarkdown

4. We have a number of other proposals in the topic list and we might want to
   expand to more repos. I am not sure what the best way forward---maybe
   folks should just show initiative and open a repo if there was sufficient
   consensus on a topic idea?

5. The old (and more 'wild west') page at collabedit.com is slowly winding
   down; I have been committing snapshots of it to the ess-intro repo.

6. It would be nice of the 'presentation topic' repos could have not only
   collaborators, but maybe 'reviewers' or 'editors' i.e. if one or two
   people could volunteer to read things over and give feedback.  Opening an
   issue in the repo may be the easiest.

7. It was suggested that I add a page on 'tech' or 'tricks' to detail how I
   recorded videos for the t^4 series I did last spring on shell etc
   tricks. I plan to add a wiki page for that.

That's it so far. Thanks to ess-help for being patient. Let us know when we
become a nuisance; we could always setup a list elsewhere but maybe this can
remain our home for a bit if we promise to keep the volume down :)

Cheers, Dirk

--
https://dirk.eddelbuettel.com | @eddelbuettel | edd using debian.org