[ESS] What is the right way to deal with modules with emacs/ESS/R on a cluster?

Kasper Daniel Hansen k@@perd@n|e|h@n@en @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Tue Feb 16 21:22:27 CET 2021

Alternatively, you can put the module command into your .bachrc (or similar
configuration file).

On Tue, Feb 16, 2021 at 8:06 PM Sparapani, Rodney via ESS-help <
ess-help using r-project.org> wrote:

> Hi Gang:
>
> I’m having some trouble between Emacs/ESS and R with modules
> that I don’t understand.  We have two TORQUE clusters.  For best
> results, I have to load emacs from a script like so from the command line…
>
> #!/bin/bash
>
> (module load R/4.0.1; emacs "$@")
>
> On one cluster, the following elisp code works…
> (defun R-4.0.1 () "Launch R v4.0.1"
>        (interactive)
>        (setq inferior-ess-r-program
>                      (shell-command-to-string
>                       "(module load R/4.0.1; echo -n `which R`)")) ;;
> subshell
>        (R)
> )
>
> However, on the other cluster, I’m having trouble.  If I try to load
> emacs from the script, then it is fighting with the window manager:
> there is a window, but I can never bring into the foreground.  If I launch
> emacs without the script, then it does play nice with the window
> manager.  But, as you might have anticipated, there’s still a problem.
> In the mini-buffer, I get
> “apply: Searching for program: no such file or directory, R”.
> However, the variable inferior-ess-r-program is now correctly defined as
> /apps/shared/R/4.0.1/bin/R
>
> Unfortunately, I have no control over the installation of software
> on these clusters (except for via persistent begging).  So emacs-version
> is 23.1.1
> and ess-version 15.09-2
>
> --
> Rodney Sparapani, Associate Professor of Biostatistics
> Chair ISBA Section on Biostatistics and Pharmaceutical Statistics
> Institute for Health and Equity, Division of Biostatistics
> Medical College of Wisconsin, Milwaukee Campus

Best,
Kasper

	[[alternative HTML version deleted]]