[ESS] [OT] Enabled a hook and no longer find which

Tue Aug 3 00:20:08 CEST 2021

On 2 August 2021 at 23:56, Stephen Berman wrote:
| Did you also try the more direct alternative of grepping simply for
| "GPATH", "GTAGS", "GRTAGS"?  Presumably whatever function updates these
| files has to refer to them, either directly by name or indirectly by a
| variable or function that in turn refers to them directly or indirectly.
| So it should be possible to find the update function by inspecting all
| code that uses these file names (directly or indirectly).

They are only written by a tool named gtags which is a binary that comes with
GNU global. I even tried to be craft and 'shadow' /usr/bin/gtags with a
(name-name) shell script leaving a timestamp in /tmp before calling
/usr/bin/gtags but that left no traces either.

But in one of the instrumented repos, as soon as I updated files src/ the
files GTAGS and GRTAGS.  It works so magically I feel tempted to use the
trick for other purposes but I no longer know the trick <man_face_palming>.

Dirk

--
https://dirk.eddelbuettel.com | @eddelbuettel | edd using debian.org