[ESS] how to change default emacs behavior, upon running R code, from 2 side-by-by side frames to top-and-bottom frames?

Tyler Smith ty|er @end|ng |rom p|@nt@rum@c@
Tue Nov 10 14:37:14 CET 2020

Christopher W. Ryan via ESS-help writes:

> When I execute a line of R code, the R buffer opens up as
> expected, but
> it opens in a frame adjacent to the frame containing my source
> buffer. I
> would like it to open the R buffer as a frame below my source
> code,
> rather than adjacent to it.Â
>
> How can I change the behavior from side-side frames to
> top-bottom frames?

In base Emacs, this is controlled by the variables
`split-height-threshold` and `split-width-threshold`. Setting
split-height-threshold to a lower value (default is 80), and the
width threshold to a higher value, will prioritize splitting
top/bottom over right/left.

The info node for this is: (emacs) Window Choice

Best,

Tyler

--
Tyler Smith