[ESS] Error starting R

Neil Shephard n@heph@rd @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Wed Oct 3 17:36:58 CEST 2018

Apologies Jeremie, stupid *faux pas* not replying to the list.

Running...

emacs -Q

...and then loading ess from scratch works (bar similar errors about julia
that you mention). R starts fine.

I've tried disabling ess-smart-underscore as Alex suggests but no joy.

I'll have a further play around later this evening and report back.

Thanks both for your assistance.

Neil
--
*Natural selection is a mechanism for generating an exceedingly high **degree
of improbability.* - R.A. Fisher

*Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge* - Charles
Darwin

PGP Public : https://pgp.mit.edu/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x0E7ECE9C10D7B4A0

Website - http://kimura.no-ip.info/

On Wed, 3 Oct 2018 at 15:44, Alex Branham <alex.branham using gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed 03 Oct 2018 at 05:34, Neil Shephard via ESS-help <
> ess-help using r-project.org> wrote:
>
> > autoload-do-load: Wrong type argument: consp, nil
> >
> > I'm using Emacs 25.3.1 with ESS installed from ELPA (20181003.755).  I've
> > asked on the Emacs Stackexchange (
> > https://emacs.stackexchange.com/q/45010/10100) and was advised to
> disable
> > in turn different settings that are loaded.  I've gone through this for
> all
> > ESS settings (see below) but the problem persists, I then tried disabling
> persisted.
>
> I've seen this problem every now and then but mainly when switching
> around git branches. Recompiling ESS always fixed it for me. Does
> reinstalling ESS from melpa fix the problem?
>
> > ...and my ESS settings are...
> >
> > ;;; ESS
> > (require 'ess)
> > ;;; Some generally useful key-bindings (mostly ESS specific)
> > (define-key global-map [f1] 'Control-X-prefix)
> > (define-key global-map [f2] 'save-buffer)
> > (define-key global-map [f3] 'find-file)
> > (define-key global-map [f5] 'switch-to-buffer)
> > (define-key global-map [f6] 'other-window)
> > (define-key global-map [f8] 'kill-buffer)
> > (define-key global-map [f9] 'ess-load-file)
> > ;;; Other specific ESS settings you can use are the following:
> > (setq comint-input-ring-size 1000)
> > (setq ess-indent-level 4)
> > (setq ess-arg-function-offset 4)
> > (setq ess-else-offset 4)
> > (setq ess-eval-visibly-p nil)
> > ;;; Set the width of the buffer automatically
> > (defun my-ess-post-run-hook ()
> >   (ess-execute-screen-options)
> >   (local-set-key "\C-cw" 'ess-execute-screen-options))
> > (add-hook 'ess-post-run-hook 'my-ess-post-run-hook)
>
> I couldn't reproduce this with the settings above, using the same
> version of ESS from MELPA that you have. Perhaps it has something to do
> with the settings below? In particular, it looks like
> ess-smart-underscore hasn't been updated in a long time. I'd suggest
> removing it and trying again.
>
> > ;;; Auto-complete and ESS
> > (require 'auto-complete)
> > (require 'auto-complete-config)
> > (add-to-list 'ac-dictionary-directories
> > "~/.emacs.d/site-lisp/auto-complete/dict")
> > (ac-config-default)
> > (auto-complete-mode)
> > (setq ess-use-auto-complete t)
> > ;;; Smart underscore