[ESS] Developing R packages under ESS

Ross Boylan Ro@@@Boy|@n @end|ng |rom uc@|@edu
Thu Mar 8 20:01:25 CET 2018

On Thu, Mar 08, 2018 at 03:29:14PM +0000, Sparapani, Rodney wrote:
> Hi Ross:
> I agree with Rich and Vitalie.  This just works out of the box: no .emacs fiddling.
> Perhaps, you are tripping over the recent tightening of the interface.  The last bullet point
> in the New features section of 17.11 states…
>
>   *   ESS[R] Namespaced evaluation is now automatically enabled only in the R/directory. This way ESS will not attempt to update function definitions from a package if you are working from e.g. a test file.
> http://ess.r-project.org/Manual/ess.html#New-features

Hmm, before I got the latest ESS updates, when I did code evaluation
commands in the .Rnw (vignette) file ESS evaluated the code in R.  Now, when
I did C-c C-r, it tried to build some tex files.  I think I was using
C-c C-n before, so I'm not sure if this is a change.  But it sounds as if
it might be related to the change you highlighted.

BTW, my intention was that the vignette code is evaluated at global scope.

> So, are you opening source code from the R subdirectory of your package and
> submitting them with C-c C-p, C-c C-r, C-c C-b, etc.?

As reported in an earlier message (but after you asked that question),
C-c C-p seems to work, but C-c C-l does not.