[ESS] ESS on an odd setup

Gavin Kelly Gavin.Kelly at crick.ac.uk
Fri Nov 4 17:53:50 CET 2016

Hello

My work's computer facilities have only just been set up, and the sysadmin has decided to go for an easybuild module system, which means that to start R, I need to type "module load R" to get the environment set correctly - unless I do that, R doesn't appear to be installed.  Unfortunately that messes up emacs' paths, so I'm forced to invoke emacs, then start a 'M-X shell', type in the "module load R", and finally point ess-remote at my shell buffer.

I know I should get the sysadmin to make this smoother, and he's working on it, but in case it never happens, is there a better work-flow anyone can think of (I tried setting a bash alias to R that - or at least a way of preventing ESS from grumbling that no R is found when I open a .R file  (I installed ESS via the MELPA package, which also may be not be ideal, as there's some magic happening with package-initialize that's trigger R when I open .R files).

Thanks -Gavin

The Francis Crick Institute Limited is a registered charity in England and Wales no. 1140062 and a company registered in England and Wales no. 06885462, with its registered office at 215 Euston Road, London NW1 2BE.

	[[alternative HTML version deleted]]