[ESS] wget/curl and DOWNLOAD make variable customization ...

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Tue Nov 1 09:06:43 CET 2016

    > I haven’t tried it recently.  But, at one point, you could
    > build ESS with DOWNLOAD = true to circumvent the
    > julia-mode.el download and build ESS without it.  Of
    > course, you would have to get ESS from somewhere.

    > -----Original Message----- From: Vincent Goulet
    > <vincent.goulet at me.com> Date: Tuesday, October 25, 2016 at
    > 12:14 PM To: Rodney Sparapani <rsparapa at mcw.edu> Cc:
    > ess-help <ess-help at r-project.org> Subject: Re: [ESS]
    > wget/curl and DOWNLOAD make variable customization WAS:
    > ESS 16.10 released

    >     I would add that the current (16.10) setup further
    > requires Internet access to build ESS. It might be a
    > trivial concern, but shouldn't the archive be complete
    > once it's been downloaded?

Yes. .. In any case, the downloading should only happen in what
we call "maintainer mode"  in R's make/Makefile setup.

I 100% agree that no internet access should be needed nor even
happen automatically even if unproblematic.
The 'lisp/julia-mode.el' file -- as shipped with the tarball
should be used, and nothing else.

I'm sorry that we (ESS Core team) have overlooked / forgotten
about this issue.
We will change that for the next patch release  (16.10-1 or 16.11, I
would guess).  The current 'make' setup is really wrong in this respect.

Martin