[ESS] ess-r-set-evaluation-env problems

Boylan, Ross Ross.Boylan at ucsf.edu
Sat Jul 23 04:20:56 CEST 2016

Using ESS 16.04 from git and emacs 24.4.1 in a text only environment, when I do C-c-C-t C-s or the equivalent command (see subject) the echo area shows "wrong type argument: stringp, nil".

After toggling on the emacs debugger:
Debugger entered--Lisp error: (wrong-type-argument stringp nil)
  directory-file-name(nil)
  ess-r-package--find-package-path()
  ess-r-package--local-package-info()
  ess-r-package-get-info()
  ess-r--select-package-name()
  ess-r-set-evaluation-env(nil)
  call-interactively(ess-r-set-evaluation-env record nil)
  command-execute(ess-r-set-evaluation-env record)
  execute-extended-command(nil "ess-r-set-evaluation-env")
  call-interactively(execute-extended-command nil nil)
  command-execute(execute-extended-command)

Also, the info documentation seems internally inconsistent; the news indicates using the command above is the way to go, but (ess)Top > Developing with ESS > ESS developer, section 10.3, seems to have the old commands, which do not work--or at least C-c C-t C-a gets me the same error.

Ross Boylan