[ESS] how to use Stata in Emacs (with ess)

Vitalie Spinu @p|nuv|t @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Wed Sep 9 12:09:38 CEST 2015

>> On Wed, Sep 09 2015 00:10, ollie_m wrote:

> In the ESS manual, it says that to start a process, I should M-x stata, then
> Emacs would prompt me a question "Starting data directory?"

It's the directory where to run stata process. That is your working
directory. You start with M-x stata and it should open a buffer with the stata
process. You can use that buffer like any other comint buffer in emacs.

>From do files you will be able to send paragraphs (C-c C-c) and load those files
into that stata sub-process (C-c C-l) among other things.

> What exactly is this directory? is it where Stata is installed?

No. This is your working directory with your stata do files.

> when I tried to run the do-file (C-c C-b), Emacs told me "Searhing for
> program: no such file or directory, stata". > so I guess Emacs is having some
> difficulty finding where my Stata is installed. How can I fix this?

The stat program name is configured in inferior-STA-program-name variable which
is by default "stata". So, either you should point that variable to stata
process. Or add the directory with your stata.exe to your Path variable and
restart emacs.

  Vitalie