[ESS] Indenting of R code, particularly dplyr code.

Fri Oct 9 12:07:23 CEST 2015

    IZ> On Oct 8, 2015 4:59 PM, "Sparapani, Rodney"
    IZ> <rsparapa using mcw.edu> wrote:
    >>

    >> > I tried what was suggested by Vitalie and Lionel but
    >> they had no > effect.  After some inspection, I noticed
    >> >
    >> > Investigating that message, I came across the
    >> suggestion that Emacs 24 > is needed for ess-15.09 to
    >> work.  Is that the case?  I seem to recall > somewhere
    >> that there were issues with Emmacs 24.  What is the story
    >> > with that?
    >> >
    >> > TIA
    >>
    >> Yes, use 24.3 or higher...
    >> http://ess.r-project.org/Manual/ess.html#Requirements

    IZ> The manual says both 23.x and 24.x are supported...

Yes, Ista, is right here:  The full paragraph in the manual says

  | ESS supports current, and recent, stable versions of GNU Emacs
  | (currently, specifically, the 23.x and 24.x series;
  | alpha/beta/pre-release versions are NOT SUPPORTED). Non-Windows
  | users beware: GNU Emacs 24.3 is preferable to 24.1 or 24.2:
  | these broken builds suffer from bug 12463
  | http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=12463 which will
  | cause emacs and ESS to get progressively slower over time.

And I think it would be great if ESS could remain (mostly)
working with emacs 23.x for a while.
Notably because it is *the* emacs installed/available in some "long time
support" versions of Linux.

Or we really need to change the manual...