[ESS] Upgraded to El Capitan (OS X 10.11) and ESS Cannot Find R

Marc Schwartz marc_schwartz at me.com
Thu Oct 1 21:54:50 CEST 2015

Hi all,

Using ess-15.09 with Emacs 24.5, which worked fine on OS X Yosemite until yesterday.

I know that this has been reported on prior versions of OS X and have attempted the proposed solutions, but I am at a loss to figure this one out at the moment.

I upgraded to the new El Capitan yesterday and now ESS cannot find R. I get the familiar:

  no such file or directory, R

when using M-x R.

I did a re-install of R as well, along with XQuartz.

R.app (the standard OS X GUI) finds R without issue and I can run R from the OS X shell (Terminal).

When I use:

  M-x shell

in Emacs, I can then run R without issue within the shell. So the $PATH seems to be picked up correctly in those settings to /usr/local/bin/R.

I do have the location added to $PATH in my ~/.bash_profile and I have a line in my .emacs:

  (setenv "PATH" "/usr/texbin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/X11/bin")

so the path is set there as as well, so that Emacs will pick up $PATH when run from the dock, which I know has been an issue.

Anyone else upgrade yet and/or have recommendations based upon fresh eyes?

Thanks!

Marc Schwartz