[ESS] (no subject)

James W. MacDonald jmacdon at uw.edu
Fri Jun 19 16:13:34 CEST 2015

Hi,

I use the following in my .emacs, in order that the up and down arrows in
an inferior R buffer will retrieve either the preceding command, or regexp
on partially typed commands:

(define-key comint-mode-map [up]
'comint-previous-matching-input-from-input)

(define-key comint-mode-map [down]
 'comint-next-matching-input-from-input)

In previous iterations of Emacs/ESS, this would return the previous
command, with point at the end of the line. With current versions (24.5.1
and 15.03, respectively), point is now wherever point was prior to hitting
the up arrow.

In other words, if I just hit the up arrow, I get the last command, and
point is at the start of the line. However, if I want to re-run a command
(say hist(<some args here>), and I type 'his' and hit the up arrow, point
is now between the s and t in hist.

Is this an ESS issue, or is it controlled by Emacs? Regardless, is this
something I can change to use the old behavior? Any pointers appreciated.

Best,

Jim

--
James W. MacDonald, M.S.