[ESS] ESS + Stata: not reading continuation lines in syntax ///

aarjpon aarjpon at gmail.com
Tue Jan 20 19:36:58 CET 2015

Hi - I've tried to look for the answer to this online, but to no avail. I
have code in Stata that I'm trying to read using ESS, and the problem is
that ESS is not sending the code to Stata correctly. Here is the syntax:

keep if country == 1 /* Austria */ ///
  | country == 2 /* Belgium */ ///
  | country == 3 /* Switzerland */ ///
  | country == 4 /* Czech Rep. */ ///
  | country == 5 /* Germany */ ///
  | country == 6 /* Denmark */ ///
  | country == 7 /* Spain */ ///
  | country == 8 /* Finland */ ///
  | country == 9 /* France */ ///
  | country == 10 /* UK */ ///
  | country == 11 /* Greece */ ///
  | country == 12 /* Hungary */ ///
  | country == 13 /* Ireland */ ///
  | country == 15 /* Italy */ ///
  | country == 16 /* Luxembourg */ ///
  | country == 17 /* Netherlands */ ///
  | country == 18 /* Norway */ ///
  | country == 19 /* Poland */ ///
  | country == 20 /* Portugal */ ///
  | country == 21 /* Sweden */ ///
  | country == 22 /* Slovenia */

This should be read as one long command, with comments (/* */) and
continuation lines at the end (///). The comments are taken out just fine,
but when ESS sends the code to Stata, it breaks the command up by lines. So
Stata thinks that the first line is a separate command, the second line a
separate command, etc. Is there any way to fix this, as I have several
syntax files written this way? I am working from Mac OSX (10.7.5) and the
latest version of Emacs (24.4).