[ESS] Is this useful for discriminating Sweave vs knitr docs?

Martin Maechler m@ech|er @end|ng |rom |ynne@@t@t@m@th@ethz@ch
Tue Apr 7 11:45:04 CEST 2015

    > Rstudio use a simple comment like:
    > % !Rnw weave = knitr

    > to ensure that Rstudio knows the current .Rnw file should be processed
    > with knitr (rather than Sweave).  Would that be useful for ESS to adopt?

On one hand, ESS is very much customizable nicely using Emacs'
custom(ize) interfaces, we already have a user customizable
variable for this:  ess-swv-processor

.. The emacs way to set this for specific files would of course
be to use  "file variables"
with the well known short syntax
     -*- mode: MODENAME; VAR: VALUE; ... -*-

(and a longer multi-line syntax, starting with a line
 .. Local Variables: ..
 and ending with
 .. End: ..)

OTOH, Rstudio very much less configurable and so they need to
such comment based configuration.

Of course, ideally they would use the  -*- .... syntax and our
variable names, so Emacs+ESS would automatically do "The right
thing"..
but that's too late now, and I think it would be good for
cooperation to support some such settings ...
ideally in emacs basically via the same emacs "engine" that
drives the file variables.

Martin