[ESS] Polymode

Vitalie Spinu @p|nuv|t @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Sat Apr 4 19:41:57 CEST 2015

 >>> Vincent Goulet on Sat, 4 Apr 2015 11:39:51 -0400 wrote:

 > However, I haven't figured out yet how one is supposed to use
 > polymode's facilities to weave a file. What's the difference between
 > Sweave-ESS and Sweave? Why end up with a foo[weaved].tex file instead
 > of foo.tex.

That weaving/exporting functionality was a rather preliminary attempt of
a generic implementation. I have spent quite some time on them and made
them somewhat functional but didn't have time to polish. Hence all the
problems.

As far I recall, [weaved] and [exported] suffixes were introduced as a
precaution. The polymode interface is generic and it's quite possible to
weave a .foo file into a .foo file (that is, weave into
itself). Exporting with pandoc can lead to similar confusion. You can
export md files into a variety of other md files (pandoc md, PHP md
etc).

Adding suffixes encourage clean workflow and minimizes the risk of
automatic overwriting of useful files. I see no serious reasons to
remove them.

Weaving is an iterative process, you keep weaving till it works. Once
you are done with it, simply rename your [exported] into whatever. I
usually put a date like report[2014-03-04].pdf and keep it there as a
backup. [xxx] are draft suffixes which help you differentiate what is
junk and what is not. Particularly, you can run 'rm *weave*' and not
worry about deleting anything useful.

> Why is foo[weaved].tex empty?

It should not be empty. Something went wrong. If you use knitR backend
then there will be *polymode weave* process buffer with the errors. With
It should pop-up automatically but it doesn't:(. With knitR-ESS backend
you should see the errors in the *R* buffer.

 Vitalie