[ESS] Interest in scala support?

Steve Nunez snunez at hortonworks.com
Thu Oct 30 23:20:29 CET 2014

It¹s probably Spark that¹s driving most of the Scala interest from a data
science perspective. I do a lot of Spark work and have often wished for
something like ESS for Spark/Data Science.

	- Steve

Steve Nunez
Solutions Principal West, Hortonworks

On 10/30/14, 15:17, "Vitalie Spinu" <spinuvit at gmail.com> wrote:

>I agree with Rodney. You cannot develops something that you don't
>use. We are already stuck with julia mode that none of the ess
>developers seems to be systematically using.
>
>Scala is general purpose language and to the best of my knowledge there
>are no systematic noteworthy developments towards data analysis
>(ignoring the java side). I also believe that such a big language must
>have it's own interaction mode in emacs. Clojure has it, why doesn't
>scala has one even though it's a much older language?
>
>  Vitalie

> >> Hi All,
> >>
> >> I'm a 15 year emacs/statistics user (mainly R/Splus, some SAS), and
>our shop is getting ready to bring in
> >> scala as a data analysis tool (we'll be doing some performance
>testing against pbdr early next year if
> >> anybody is interested in hearing about that).
> >>
> >> Long story short, I would like to know if there's any interest in
>supporting scala in ESS.  I saw (1) there was
> >> some julia support (so I see at least one new language with REPL is
>in ESS) and (2) most of the scala IDEs (even
> >> the notebooks in intellij (better) and eclipse) aren't anywhere near
>as useful to me as a good old ESS
> >> session.
>
> > <SNIP>
>
> >> Any thoughts?  (offline comments welcome: bchristian <at>
>pyaanalytics.com)  I ran the idea by Tony R, and he
> >> said it'd be best to start here and that he thought it was a good
>idea.
> >>
> >> Best,
> >> Blair
>
> > Hi Blair:
>
> > I see no one else bit, so I'll bite ;o)  Speaking personally as an ESS
> > developer, I have absolutely no interest in Scala which I had never
> > even heard of prior to your query:  and in Scala, I'm also including
> > all of the other OO languages that it shares philosophy with
> > (according to Wikipedia ;o) like Java, C#, Smalltalk, Haskell...
>
> > I am no expert on those things, but it seems to me they have their own
> > communities and you would be better off using what they use.  For
>example,
> > Java users have Eclipse.  In my opinion, ESS is for those forgotten
> > languages like R, SAS, Stata, etc. that the IDE developers have not
> > taken interest in (with recent exceptions excluded of course ;o)
>
> > Now, I'll admit that if you are an Emacs user, then I can see your
> > point.  Why can't I use Emacs for Scala?  It's a very fair question.
> > But, I don't see it in ESS; however, there are probably other modes
> > that would be a better fit.  There has been some loose talk about
> > supporting REPL in ESS.  But for the foreseeable future, it is just
> > talk.
>
> > Thanks,
>
> > Rodney

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE\ NOTICE: This message is intended...{{dropped:14}}