[ESS] Setting paths to R versions in different directories

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Tue Oct 28 09:02:50 CET 2014

On Tue, Oct 28, 2014 at 8:56 AM, Vitalie Spinu <spinuvit at gmail.com> wrote:

>  >>> Stephen Eglen on Tue, 28 Oct 2014 05:55:54 +0000 wrote:
>
>  >> How about having only `R-program-start-regexp` and set it to "^R-"?
>
>  > okay, but "start-regexp" is confusing: 1) if it says start, would you
>  > expect to have to add ^ [caret] for start of string
>
> Good point. R-program-name-regexp is better.
>
>  > 2) ess-find-exec-completions() does the hard work of finding the R
>  > versions, and a quick browse suggests that ess-r-versions should
>  > contain strings, not regexps.
>
> Sure. The idea was to change the code a bit and make the whole interface
> simpler and more general all at once.
>
> But now that I think about it, it's probably not worth the flame. Better
> to rename ess-R-versions and leave only one "R-" string in that list.

​Renaming is fine... but the 2nd proposal is not really:

See, many people / instituttions have small​

​R related helper utilities in their PATH,
have left exactly the
R-<n>... , R-patched* and R-devel*  for R versions.

Making all "R-" strings into potential R executables would be quite
disruptive for all those places.
So, no, do not extend that list.
Martin

>   Vitalie