[ESS] .Rmd files and polymode

Vitalie Spinu spinuvit at gmail.com
Sat Oct 4 23:54:14 CEST 2014

 >>> Patrick Connolly on Sun, 5 Oct 2014 09:46:22 +1300 wrote:

[...]

 > $ emacs --version
 > GNU Emacs 23.3.1

Indeed. Polymode will not work with Emacs older than 24.0.1. Even for
ESS itself users are strongly encouraged to upgrade to Emacs 24.

 > Maybe my bottleneck is the theme settings or could it be that I erred
 > in putting th Activation section in ~/.emacs?

 > I've also assumed the Basic Usage section (in
 > https://github.com/vitoshka/polymode) is not for mere users such as
 > me, so I didn't try to make head or tail of it.

In theory the usage is very simple. You have to remember two keys M-n w
and M-n e for weaving and exporting respectively. The capitalized
versions (M-n W and M-n E) are for explicit selection of the weaving and
exporting backends. That's it.

In practice, polymode still comes with no guaranties, and the above
might or might not work out of the box for you. There are so many things
to change/fix that I prefer to sit and wait till I get some non-trivial
amount of time to spend on it and fix all at once, rather than patching
stuff here and there. So expect to have some issues with it.

 > It doesn't bother me particularly if it doesn't all work.  I have
 > these function keys set for years:

 > (global-set-key [f1] 'ess-eval-line)
 > (global-set-key [f2] 'ess-eval-region-and-go)
 > (global-set-key [f3] 'ess-eval-line-and-step)

 > f2 already works in a .Rmd buffer.  I'd be happy if I could get f3 to
 > work also.

All of the above should work.

Some stuff has been changed since you have last upgraded. C-c C-c is now
bound for a fancy `ess-eval-region-or-function-or-paragraph-and-step`
and C-RET to `ess-eval-region-or-line-and-step`. You might consider
using those.

  Vitalie