[ESS] Anyone get "Text is read-only" issues lately?

Grant Rettke gcr at wisdomandwonder.com
Fri Nov 14 18:06:57 CET 2014

Good morning VItalie,

My communication was imprecise, and I am sorry for that.

It looks to you like I said that I tested *without* my ESS config,
asked for help, then told you and everyone else that I was lying by
actually testing *with* my custom config, thus wasting your time and
being labeled as a liar, and I am sorry for that because that is also
*not* the case. Here is what happened.

My configuration is split up into different sections. There is a
section for ESS because it is a full blown mode. There is also a
section for comint because it is a full blown mode. I don't see these
two modes as having anything to do with each other beyond the former
being derived from the latter.

When I did the aforementioned testing, I did indeed remove all of my
ESS configuration and I left my comint configuration and made a single
call to require 'ess-site. That is how I was able to narrow down the
problem. It had nothing to do with my ESS configuration.

The fact that I replied here with the issue was simply to resolve the
topic, and again say "Thanks" for helping me out with it. So, again,
my apologies for the confusion here, as I greatly respect and value
your and everyone else's time, and do understand that every email sent
to the list does have a cost and that you and other generous folks are
the ones paying that cost!

The nature of the change itself? I have no clue what is the issue.
I've had that setting in place for a long, long time and it has worked
as I had expected it. What changed in the past month or two making it
not produce the desired behavior? Unknown. What I posted on was the
fix, and maybe it should never have produced hte desired behavior in
the first place. That is why it was so surprising though, because
neither my ESS nor my comint configuration had changed in two months,
thus, the surprise!

Kind regards,

gcr

--