[ESS] How to make `ess-quit' *not* start up R if it is not already running?

Grant Rettke gcr at wisdomandwonder.com
Wed Nov 5 02:15:35 CET 2014

On Tue, Nov 4, 2014 at 7:09 PM, Vitalie Spinu <spinuvit at gmail.com> wrote:
> Yes. I see the behavior that you have described. But what is your
> realistic scenario?

It just seems like a waste of a second or two for R to start up, when
the user's intent was that R be shut down, and then have to shut it
down again. It is just surprising perhaps, because calling ess-quit
doesn't make R quit, it makes it start. I am not totally sure I using
it correctly though.

> Are you calling ess-quit programatically?

No.