[ESS] Re-execute the previous command with `!!'

Sebastien Vauban sva-news at mygooglest.com
Fri Aug 22 23:56:03 CEST 2014

Vitalie Spinu wrote:
> Sebastien Vauban on Fri, 22 Aug 2014 14:40:19 +0200 wrote:
>>
>> When trying to re-execute the previous command with `!!', I get
>> a prompt that never ends.
>>
>> See http://screencast.com/t/EjENuwrDgiw4
>>
>> My fault?
>
> I think those don't work anymore. A lot of ESS documentation is pretty
> outdated.
>
> Those textual commands are not really useful. Use
> comint-previous-matching-input-from-input and
> comint-history-isearch-backward-regexp (M-r) to do those things faster
> and with much more flexibility.
>
> I would prefer to remove that section from the doc. It's ads unnecessary
> complexity with features that are never used (well, now they don't even
> work anymore).

Well, I'll look at your propositions. And you must be right: they
certainly are more powerful.

OTOH, on a generic perspective, I'd find it good, would `!!' still work
in ESS. I'd say it's nice to have the same commands and key bindings
working for the Shell/Term and for the iESS buffer. Maybe this is
a unimportant detail, though.

Best regards,
  Seb

--