[ESS] eldoc doesn't work in remote sessions

Vitalie Spinu spinuvit at gmail.com
Fri Sep 27 07:33:42 CEST 2013

 >>> Li Bowen on Wed, 18 Sep 2013 13:54:06 +0800 wrote:

[...]

 > M-x ess-remote to attach the current process to ess.

Unfortunately ess-remote is broken. I cannot make it work because shell
seems to eat some of the input that ESS loads at startup. I see plenty
of errors filling up the buffer. If you have similar experience, take
ESSR.R file from ESS/R directory and source it manually on remote
machine:

    source("~/path/to/ESS/etc/ESSR.R")

This initialization code is critical and it should end up as an R
package. Hopefully in the next version of ESS.

 > (ess-process-put 'funargs-cache (make-hash-table :test 'equal))
 > (ess-process-put 'funargs-pre-cache nil)
 > (ess-load-extras)

Thanks for the pointer. I have added this to ess-remote. You need not do
it manually anymore.

Great detective job:)

Thanks,

   Vitalie