[ESS] eldoc doesn't work in remote sessions

Li Bowen bowenli37 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 19 07:35:00 CEST 2013

Rodney Sparapani <rsparapa at mcw.edu> writes:

> On 09/18/2013 11:25 AM, Kasper Daniel Hansen wrote:
>> The immense advantage of screen is that it has been available on every HPC
>> cluster I have ever had access to.  Alternatives (mosh as an alternative to
>> ssh for example) almost invariable requires buy-in from system
>> administrators who may be entirely uninterested in helping you: in other
>> words, a good solution using screen would be great and I am excited to see
>> Li working on this.  I would love love love to be able to set up a single
>> command for doing all of this in one go (including connecting to a running
>> screen session, if present and also be able to use something like qrsh to
>> get onto a cluster node), but have not had the time to dedicate to this.
>>
>> Best,
>> Kasper
>
> Hi Gang:
>
> I'm not a screen user, but I think I understand the concept.  So,
> let's be clear what we are talking about.  You are saying that the
> cluster
> administrators don't want to make changes; as a cluster administrator
> I know the type ;o)  OTOH, maybe it would be useful to have this on
> our cluster so I would like to hear more about it.  But...  Does that
> also
> mean that the cluster does not have R installed (which frequently
> changes as we know)?  How about emacs?  ESS?  etc.?  I guess my
> first question is:  what is installed on the remote cluster and what is
> coming from the local client?
>
> As far as ESS support goes...  I/We try to build on emacs
> functionality; not create new functionality if we can help it.  That's
> why we rely on Tramp (and before that ssh.el).  Is there any help to
> be
> had in emacs cloud cuckoo land like:
> http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/GnuScreen
> (the suggestions to use emacs --daemon or emacsclient -t can't be
> serious, right?)
> or
> http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/EmacsLispScreen
Hi,

Screen and R are installed on the server. X11 forwarding is enabled on
the server. R can be installed by the user in his/her home directory as
well. It is better to do source("ESSR.R") than to paste it to the
buffer. So ESSR.R is better present on the server or source it from a url.

Emacs, ess, ssh.el are local. R scripts can be local or on the server
(use Tramp). Usually I embed R scripts in an org-mode documents.

--
Sincerely,
Li Bowen.