[ESS] eldoc doesn't work in remote sessions

Vitalie Spinu spinuvit at gmail.com
Wed Sep 18 05:20:16 CEST 2013

 >>> Li Bowen on Tue, 17 Sep 2013 21:19:10 +0800 wrote:

 > Dear all,
 > eldoc does not function at all if associated R session is running on
 > remote host. No arguments hints are shown in echo area for both R buffer and
 > script buffer.

 > (ess-function-arguments "norm") returns nil

 > It seems to me that funargs-cache is not present as in:
 > ess-function-arguments
 > (args (gethash funname (process-get proc 'funargs-cache))

 > This problem has been reported on 25 June 2013.

 > To reproduce this problem: requires ssh.el (I installed with el-get)
 > 1. M-x ssh
 > 2. username at localhost
 > 3. R enter
 > 3. norm(TAB here)
 > nothing appear

I don't know why people keep using the super outdated ssh.el. Just use
tramp which comes with emacs. There are so many tutorials out there:

 C-x C-f /ssh:username at host: RET

Then M-x R.

If you setup a configuration XXX withing .ssh/config then you can simply
do C-x C-f /ssh:XXX: RET.

In the thread you refer to, I said the same thing. ssh.el is not
supported.

   Vitalie