[ESS] Emacs taking over CPU (Frank Harrell)

Rodney Sparapani rsparapa at mcw.edu
Tue Sep 17 23:45:19 CEST 2013

Hi Peter!

On 09/17/2013 10:09 AM, Peter Meilstrup wrote:
> I find that output into iESS goes much faster if I disable font-lock-mode.

This is a really good tip.  So, if you need to forgo font-locking,
go to the *R* buffer:  C-u -1 M-x font-lock-mode

Then you can turn it back on with M-x font-lock-mode
But it will get sluggish again, unless...

> And if you don't need the complete transcript, you can turn on buffer
> truncation. This will largely prevent Emacs from having to recopy the
> buffer to larger and larger arrays.
>
> (add-to-list 'comint-output-filter-functions 'comint-truncate-buffer)

This is a good tip too, but then you will lose the beginning of the
output obviously.

--
Rodney Sparapani, PhD
Manager of Statistical & Computational Operations