[ESS] ?foo doesn't work in development

Ross Boylan ross at biostat.ucsf.edu
Thu Oct 3 22:14:40 CEST 2013

I synced up with ESS git yesterday, and noticed today that ? help
doesn't work.  That is, if I type ?matrix nothing happens except I get a
new line with a prompt.

I have edited ess-help.el locally to eliminate the 'force argument that
caused trouble for my emacs.  But I didn't notice any changes to that
file when I took in the latest changes.

*ESS* shows
ess-setq-vars-LOCAL): language=S, dialect=R, buf=nil, comint..echoes=t,
comint..sender=comint-simple-send
(ess-help '*help[R](matrix)*' start  ..
 |--> t [searching nil]
(ess-help: kill bogus buffer *help[R](matrix)* ..

*Messages* has
No documentation for ‘']'’ in specified packages and libraries:
No documentation for ‘'['’ in specified packages and libraries:
No documentation for ‘subscript’ in specified packages and libraries:
No documentation found;  [2 times]
reflecting some earlier queries (which also produced nothing).  There
are corresponding entries in *ESS* for them.

I was also a bit suprised by the new startup, since AFIK ESS didn't use
to install a library:
R version 2.15.1 (2012-06-22) -- "Roasted Marshmallows"
Copyright (C) 2012 The R Foundation for Statistical Computing
ISBN 3-900051-07-0
Platform: x86_64-pc-linux-gnu (64-bit)

  Natural language support but running in an English locale

Type 'q()' to quit R.

install.packages('/home/ross/UCSF/Choi/GitHub/ESS/etc/ESSR_1.0.tar.gz')
Installing package(s) into
‘/home/ross/R/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-library/2.15’
(as ‘lib’ is unspecified)
inferring 'repos = NULL' from the file name
* installing *source* package ‘ESSR’ ...
** R
** preparing package for lazy loading
** help
*** installing help indices
** building package indices
** testing if installed package can be loaded

* DONE (ESSR)
> library(ESSR)
> options(STERM='iESS', str.dendrogram.last="'", editor='emacsclient',
show.error.locations=TRUE)