[ESS] Issues with ESS, running R on a remote server via tramp

Vitalie Spinu spinuvit at gmail.com
Thu Nov 28 23:34:27 CET 2013

Hi Chris,

v13.05 is know to have some issues with remotes. There have been quite
some work recently on improving remotes, especially with TRAMP so even
13.09 might not be satisfactory now.

Please try the dev version. The help issue is due to wrong settings of
the PAGER environment variable, which sould be "cat". You can set it
either in R options or in the sh/bash config files.

In ESS dev, this is done automatically now, both for TRAM and
ess-remote.

   Vitalie