[ESS] Issues with ESS, running R on a remote server via tramp

Chris Wallace chris.wallace at cimr.cam.ac.uk
Thu Nov 28 14:06:05 CET 2013

Dear ESS-help,

I am a very recent convert to ESS, but a long term user of emacs and R.
In a linux environment, I am newly running R within emacs, via M-x R,
and using tramp to run R on a remote hose through ssh, so at the prompt
for a starting directory, I do "/ssh:remote:~/mydir". Everything works
well except for two problems.

First, when I try to access help, via "?xxx" or via C-c C-v, the R
window hangs, and I have to C-g, C-c C-c.  Then, sometimes the help is
shown, sometimes not.

Second, when I use C-c C-c from the ESS buffer, to send a command to the
iESS buffer, it can sometimes fail with:

Error in file(filename, "r", encoding = encoding) :
   cannot open the connection
In addition: Warning message:
In file(filename, "r", encoding = encoding) :
   cannot open file '/tmp/ESS-region/ebi-part1.R at 9': No such file or
directory

even though the text appears pasted in the iESS buffer. C-<return> to
step through line by line never fails.

Neither problem occurs when I run R locally, and so I suspect both of
these problems may relate to running R on a remote host. However, I do
need to be able to run R on a remote host (which does not have emacs
installed) to be able to access various other servers on which data are
stored.

In case it's relevant, emacs-version is 24.2.1, ess-version is 13.05, R
is 3.0.2.  The ESS section in my .emacs is:

(require 'tramp)
(require 'ess-site)
(require 'ess-bugs-d)
   (setq comint-scroll-to-bottom-on-input t)
   (setq comint-scroll-to-bottom-on-output t)
   (setq comint-move-point-for-output t)
(setq ess-eval-visibly 'nowait)  ;; need this to avoid emacs hanging on
large evaluations
(setq ess-help-own-frame 'one) ;;;;; all help buffers to go into one frame

In my .Rprofile I have

options(help_type="text")

Thank you for any advice,

Chris