[ESS] Having trouble installing ESS

Dave Voelker dvoelker at stanford.edu
Mon May 6 05:19:50 CEST 2013

Hello,
     I'm emailing this address because I've attempted to install ESS-12.09-2
per both methods in the README file without success.  I'm attempting to
install on Windows (specifically, Windows 7 Home Premium, 64-bit, with
Service Pack 1).  I've already successfully installed Emacs (v. 24.3.1).
     I first put the extracted ESS files into a subdirectory of the
'site-lisp' directory that I named ESS.  I added the line
   (require 'ess-site)
to `~/.emacs' as instructed and restarted Emacs, but there was no *ESS*
among the buffers.  I then tried the second method, creating a C:/ESS
directory and unpacked the zip package there, and added the line
   (load "C:/ess/ess-12.09-2 /lisp/ess-site")
to `~/.emacs' as instructed and restarted Emacs.  Again, no *ESS* among my
list of buffers.
     I would welcome any thoughts on what I might be doing wrong, or
suggestions of things to try.

Thank you,
Dave Voelker