[ESS] ESS with Julia built from source breaks plotting

Kasper Daniel Hansen kasperdanielhansen at gmail.com
Sun Mar 31 03:40:46 CEST 2013

If you are running Emacs as a GUI application (for example Emacs.app
or Aquamacs) you should be aware that settings in say
.bashrc/.bash_profile does not affect GUI applications.  This is true
for all GUI applications on OS X.

This is avery common reason for why things work in Terminal, but not
in Emacs or R.app (or some other GUI).

If you need to set PATH or other things you need to use
environment.plist (Google it) or set it from inside of Emacs.  For
example, you can set the PATH environment variable by

(setenv "PATH" (concat (getenv "PATH")
                       ":/usr/texbin:~/Bin:/usr/local/bin"))

(in your .emacs / .init.el etc)

Best,