[ESS] Locked *R*: Text is Read Only w Emacs-24.3

Paul Johnson pauljohn32 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 6 03:39:39 CET 2013

I'm on a bleeding edge of Emacs, using the "emacs-snapshot" for
Debian. Its now Emacs-24.3.50.1.
It updates every 2 weeks, and maybe I'm too far out on the edge. When
I installed this Debian Wheezy system 3 weeks ago, it provided
emacs-23, and I went on a Google adventure and ended up at the edge of
chaos with emacs-snapshot.  In case you wonder, here's the apt list
line for it:

deb http://emacs.naquadah.org/ unstable/

Recognizing that I've caused this problem for myself, I wonder if you
have suggestions about it. I'm having this problem a lot. It happens
if I make a mistaken paste in *R*, or some system error squirts into
the buffer. In the *R* buffer, I'm not able to type anything, in the
minibuffer it says:

Text is read-only.

Just now, it happened after I viewed a vignette and some evince viewer
noise that would ordinarily show in the console spewed into the *R*
buffer.
########
> vignette("anes48")

** (evince:30064): WARNING **: Couldn't register with accessibility
bus: Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote
application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy
blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network
connection was broken.

** (evince:30064): CRITICAL **: atk_bridge_adaptor_cleanup: assertion
`inited' failed

########

(I'm seeing that accessibility bus all the time in Debian Wheezy now,
whenever a gtk app starts, and I'm told in their support group to be
patient and the warning is harmless.)

After that, *R* is "stuck", I can't see anything to do except kill
Emacs altogether. The Break and Kill menu options under ESS have no
effect. The ess I'm using is still the old stock one from the debian
package.

I recognize that on a system with all this testing software, I have no
reason to expect things will work, I'm just asking if you have seen
this thing. Meanwhile, I'll find some older, safer Emacs, or a newer
ESS

pj

--
Paul E. Johnson
Professor, Political Science      Assoc. Director