[ESS] ess-julia.el

Vitalie Spinu spinuvit at gmail.com
Sat Mar 2 20:45:00 CET 2013

Hi Gustavo,

This and other issues with ess-julia.el have been fixed in git repo.

  >> Gustavo Lacerda <guse at optimizelife.com>
  >> on Sat, 2 Mar 2013 13:46:29 -0500 wrote:

  > First of all, I want to congratulate you guys for making this.
  > I just wanted to say that I was going down the same road as Jay,
  > trying to figure out why commands entered directly onto the julia REPL
  > don't echo (while commands sent to the REPL do).  After looking in the
  > wrong place for a bit, I found the checkmark: iESS menu > Process >
  > Process Echoes.  And now it works.... but if I restart emacs, I need
  > to set it again.

  > Is it a bad idea to edit ess-inf.el, line 2194?

In this case it would have been a bad idea because setting
comint-process-echoes was making (some) things work only by accident.

In general, because julia is a moving target, ess-julia.el is also
updated periodically. So your changes will likely conflict with core
changes. It is a better idea to propose them here or pull a merger
request on github if you already made a useful change in your fork.

    Best,
    Vitalie

  > P.S. I noticed that there is a tiny speck on the shell (which looks
  > like a low backquote), indicating the last command entered through the
  > shell (rather than thru ESS).  Is this an intentional feature?

Speck? It is an arrow (like in this [1] screenshot) and it should show
both on sending scripts from ESS and entering them in process buffer. It
is misplaced currently by one line. Didn't have time to look into it
recently.

  [1] https://ess-tracebug.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/img/last_input_arrow.png