[ESS] emacs ess and fedora 17

Vitalie Spinu spinuvit at gmail.com
Tue Jan 22 23:20:16 CET 2013

  >> Mark Leeds <markleeds2 at gmail.com>
  >> on Tue, 22 Jan 2013 10:47:21 -0500 wrote:

  > Hi: I switched from fedora 15 to fedora 17 recently and I'm pretty
  > sure that I downloaded emacs-ess from the add software icon during
  > that process. But now when I'm using emacs-ess, I have an old
  > problem that I had a long time ago. This problem is that when I run
  > commands in the top ess window, the bottom ess windows scrolls up
  > rather than down so that the prompt is not moving so that it's
  > aligned with the code in the top.  I probably didn't explain that
  > well but if this has happened to anyone else, I'm sure you know what
  > I mean.

I am not very clear what you mean by, not aligned in the top? Do you
mean that the cursor is not at the last prompt after you have evaluated
your commands?

If so, then this could happen occasionally. I have spent literally days
hunting this problem. It is something very deep in emacs and relates to
how emacs re-displays its frames. And when it does that it also resets
the prompt position. I don't have a reliable way to reproduce this, but
it often happens on long tasks that print something from time to
time. At some point the cursor jumps from eob, where it supposed to
stay, to the center of the window.

What you can do, is to set comint-scroll-to-bottom-on-output to the
value you want. That solves the problem but creates other inconveniences
that might be, or not, important to you.

    Vitalie