[ESS] Telling ess where to look for R

Rodney Sparapani rsparapa at mcw.edu
Tue Jan 22 18:27:19 CET 2013

On 01/22/2013 11:03 AM, Thompson,Paul wrote:
> This illustrates a problem or difficulty I have with emacs. You have a nice example of customization.
>
> Looking at the ess.pdf manual which I find installed as part of ESS V 12.09-1, installed via the V Goulet mod of emacs, I look at the TOC. I find that P. 93 discusses "Customizing ESS". It states to find customization you type M-x customize-group ret ess. I access a file which invokes ess (a SAS source) and do this, which brings up the various customize dialogs. I looked for R, and find it as a dialect of S.
>
> However I do not find the specific code ess-directory-containing-R in any place. How is a non-developer to find these variables?
>
> This is not your problem. This is a problem that I have with emacs generally. There are few good complete listings of variables. It's all passed word of mouth from one person to another.

It is kind of a mess (which is the reason why I usually avoid it).
However, in this case, there is an easy way out.  Just do
F1 v ess-directory-containing-R

At the bottom of the generated *Help* buffer, you should see:

You can customize this variable.

The word customized is underlined and clicking on that launches
you into a customize buffer
*Customize Option: Ess Directory Containing R*
where you can do your worst ;o)

--
Rodney Sparapani, PhD  Center for Patient Care and Outcomes Research
Sr. Biostatistician               http://www.mcw.edu/pcor